Greetings 2010

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Beer Bread (New Project Debut)

So I recently read of the passing of Irving Penn, who is famous for his fashion photography. I was intrigued by some of his portraits and asked for a book of his photography for Christmas. I was surprised to receive a book of his still life photography! I have never really explored still lifes...and thought it might be a fun project for "the slow season." I often go a little creatively stir crazy in the winter...it's cold and bleak and gloomy and the days are so short. I have decided exploring still life photography will help me keep the creative juices flowing through these cold, dark months.

I'm going to have to work at it though...I tend to capture more what I see and never really stage anything. I would even call these first shots cheating since I didn't come up with the idea. I was making beer bread and liked what I saw. Does that count? The first one was purely captured as I found it...though I did of course choose to compose the image in this particular way...

beer bread 02

I would say this shot involved more staging.

beer bread 01

I'm excited about the project! And ready to go eat the beer bread. Yum!

No comments: