Greetings 2010

Friday, March 21, 2008

Friend of the Zoo

If you are in the KC area, you may have heard the City is considering a reduction in the funds they provide the Kansas City Zoo. KC Zoo reps claim this could result in the closing of the Zoo. Regardless, a reduction in funding is a bad situation for residents of Kansas City that benefit from the Zoo...and most importantly for the animals that live there.

Supporting the Zoo is not always easy for me. I wrestle with the concept. I am saddened that these animals have been captured and forced to live a life in captivity. Studies have shown that many animals (especially those that naturally roam very large areas) suffer greatly when confined. They often engage in repetitive pacing and tend to die much sooner than they would in their normal habitat. I am strongly opposed to any zoo that continues to house its animals in small cages that don't remotely resemble nature.

That said, I do think the KC Zoo has spent a lot of time and money to overcome these challenges. The Zoo has been committed to expanding enclosures and mimicking the animals' natural habitats. They aren't all the way there yet...for example Asia seems about the same as it was when I was a kid. But in order to meet these goals, the Zoo needs MORE money...not LESS.

And furthermore, the KC Zoo really makes an effort to educate the public on the need for conservation. Unfortunately, out of sight out of mind. I'm afraid the public as a whole would think little about their plight without the opportunity to see these unbelievably amazing creatures with their own eyes. Hopefully, visiting the zoo as a fun family outing will make more people aware of the need to protect the animals of the world...and they need protection more now than ever before. Species are disappearing from this planet at an alarming rate.

I could continue to ramble on about this subject...but I will give it a rest. My point is that I do feel that the Kansas City Zoo is important to our area. Next year the Zoo will celebrate 100 years. After all of the hard work and improvements, I would hate to see the Zoo close and the animals sold...quite possibly to a less developed zoo. If you agree, you can help by contacting the City Council to express your support and concern for the Kansas City Zoo.

Here are some of my favorite pics I have taken at the zoo over the past couple of years...

web zoo 08

web zoo 06

web zoo 10

web zoo 07

web zoo 05

web zoo 09

web zoo 02

web zoo 04

web zoo 03

I think this gorilla has a message for the City Council...

web zoo 01

Sorry...couldn't resist. ;-)

Feel free to leave a comment if you would like to share your own opinion on this topic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The crocodile pic is awesome.
Wow! I think I want it displayed in my house!